In 1906, a group of women in Baltimore was handpicked to start an auxiliary group to work with and support the activities of Dr. W. E. B. Dubois and the members of the local branch of the Niagara Movement in their fight to address the social, political, and economic injustices faced by African Americans. In January 1906, the chosen women, Margaret Hawkins, Eva Jenifer, Minnie Gaines, Lelia Waller, and Caroline Cook, established The Dubois Circle.
In the beginning, the organization chose to make its purpose the pursuit of literary studies. Meetings often focused on the topics of art and culture. Members met monthly in their homes, mostly located on Druid Hill Avenue and the surrounding streets. Over the years, the focus of the organization has changed to address the issues of the day. We have addressed local, national, and global issues and how we could affect them.
Excerpt from the archives by Beverly Carter, Esq., Historian and